This is our standard adoption contract that must be completed and signed by anyone wishing to adopt an animal from the Hillside SPCA. Our number one concern is for the animals and we strive to place them in good, loving homes.
All animal adoption contracts approved by the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc. are subject to the following terms and conditions:
- The Adopter agrees that the animal will be kept only as a domesticated house pet. This means that dogs will be kept indoors except for periods of exercise in a fenced-in yard or on a leash. Cats will be kept indoors at all times unless a screened-in porch or similar type enclosure is available.
- The Adopter agrees to have the animal spayed or neutered by the date specified above. The Adopter further agrees to provide proper veterinary care for the animal.
- The Adopter grants the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc. the right to maker periodic visits to the Adopter’s premises for the purpose of checking on the health and general welfare of the animal and to verify that the animal has been spayed or neutered in accordance with the terms of this agreements.
- The Adopter represents that all family members have agreed to the adoption of the animal and that all family members will abide by the terms of this agreements. The Adopter further represents that he/she is eighteen years of age or older.
- The Adopter represents that he/she has never been subject to legal action for cruelty to or neglect of animals. The Adopter further represents that he/she has never owned an animal which has been confiscated by any animal control or humane organization for violations of state or local animal control regulations or animal adoption agreements.
- If the Adopter is a tenant, then Adopter agrees to provide written permission from the landlord consenting to the animal adoption.
- If for any reason the Adopter is unable to provide care to the animal, the Adopter agrees to return the animal to the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc. The Adopter shall not offer the animal for sale or give the animal to any third party without the prior written consent of the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc.
- The Adopter agrees that the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc. shall have the right of immediate possession of the animal if, in the judgment of the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc., the animal is receiving inadequate care, is being improperly housed or handled or has not been spayed or neutered by the specified date.
- The Adopter agrees to pay the Hillside S.P.C.A, Inc. the sum of $300.00 as liquidated damages in the event the terms of this contract are breached; this liquidated damage value does not bar the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc. from seeking the return of the animal by judicial process or other legal means if necessary. If legal action is instituted, the Adopter agrees to pay reasonable attorney’s fees and court costs.
The Adopter hereby declares that he/she is aware:
- (a.) That animals are different from human beings in their responses to human actions;
- (b.) That the actions of animals are often unpredictable.
- (c.) That an animal’s behavior may change after it leaves the shelter and accustoms itself to a home or other different environment; and
- (d.) That the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc. makes no claims as to the temperament, health, or mental disposition of any animal put up for adoption.
- The Adopter understands that there will be NO REFUNDS OF ADOPTION FEE.
- The Adopter acknowledges that he/she has received a copy of the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc. Animal Adoption Contract Terms.
The Adopter, hereby accepts possession of, title to (subject to the conditions of the adoption contract), and responsibility for the animal adopted and agrees to release and discharge the Hillside S.P.C.A., Inc. forever from liability for any injury or damages to any person or property caused by the adopted animal, and from any causes of action, claims, suits, or demands whatsoever that may arise as a result of such injury or damages.